Monday, January 11, 2010

Black Beans and (not)Brown Rice

I briefly mentioned in my menu review for the week that I had my husband grab a bag of black beans yesterday, that was because in the February issue of Martha Stewart Living there was an awesome looking recipe for black beans and brown rice. I had to modify the recipe a little bit more than a bit but the results were amazing. This is what we had for lunch today (it was so much yummier than it looks!):

We topped it with avocado (from a friend), cheese, salsa, and sour cream. Next time I'm going to pick up some fresh cilantro to go with it. Black beans are so going on my list of staples to have on hand. Not only did the toddler and I love it, but the baby enjoyed it too. I'm going to have to remember this recipe the next time Vegan Sis comes for a visit (because I know she'll like it too). Here's how I made this (serves 3ish)!

Black Beans (crockpot style, throw in everything listed)
  • 1/2 lb. black beans
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 3 or 4 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1/4 of a (seeded) jalapeno
  • 4 cups of water
  • salt and pepper
  • Cook on high for about 4 hours, discard water, garlic & onions before serving

Yummy (not)Brown Rice:

  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 garlic clove, minced (I love garlic, so I used a whole clove)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup Brown Rice (I only have white, so I used that instead)
  • 1 3/4 water (I used 2 cups)

Heat oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic until the onion is soft. Add salt, pepper, and rice. Cook until rice is slightly toasted (about 3 minutes). Add water, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, put the lid on and let simmer until the water is absorbed (recipe says 25-30 minutes but the white rice only took 20 or so). Remove from heat and let stand (still covered) for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve with beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment