Thursday, February 18, 2010

Safeway: a few deal ideas

Are you looking for good deals this week at Safeway? Maybe you noticed the Premium Saltines on sale Saturday and Sunday only for only $1.29 and thought "combined with that $1 Nabisco coupon, these are cheap"? Of course, if you have any of these coupons you may be able to get an even better deal:If you purchase the a box of the Premium Saltines and a can of either Nalley Chili or Campbell's Select Harvest soup (each are $1) you can use both the $1 off Nabisco crackers from the MIT booklet (a Safeway coupon) and the $1 off wyb Saltines and any soup or chili. You'll still pay only $0.29 but now you'll have a can of soup or chili in addition to your crackers! There's a limit of 4, which would make it only $1.16 for 4 boxes of crackers and 4 cans of soup or chili!

Maybe you've been on the lookout for a good soda deal? I frequently am, because the husband likes to have soda with his lunch. Try this scenario:

  • buy 3 6pack bottles of Coke (16.9oz bottles) $7.00 (with in ad coupon)
  • buy 3 boxes Saltines @ $1.29 each =$3.87
  • use three $1 Nabisco cracker coupons from the MIT booklet
  • use three $2 off wyb Coke and Nabisco crackers tearpads
  • Pay only $1.87 for 3 boxes of crackers and a total of 18 16.9oz bottles of Coke!

Most of these coupons are available in-stores now, although you might have to check at Safeway's CS desk for any leftover MIT booklets. I found the Saltine/Chili tearpads at both Albertsons and Fred Meyer, and the Coke/Nabisco coupons at both Safeway and Albertsons. For a more complete matchup this week (including details on the great P&G promo) check out The Krazy Coupon Lady's matchup post!

17 comments:

  1. Cute to see your little guy under the table in this pic! I bet he is keeping you as busy as my little girl is me. How do you like your coupon system? I use a box with envelopes and I find it to be a little bulky to carry into stores, but the filing is relatively quick and easy. The binder looks like it may be better, but it would be time consuming to switch over. I'm still on the fence about it. I would love your opinion.

    I'm going to look for the tear pad coupons today. I assume you didn't have trouble using both because one is a store coupon and the other is a MF Q. My local stores are so difficult to deal with, so I sometimes just skip Safeway even when there is a good deal. (But it pains me to pass them up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I posted these because they are so clearly one safeway coupon per item and one manufacturer coupon anyone should be able to do it. There are a few other deals this week, but they involve IP's that are worth more than half the sale price and knowing how rough some Safeways are on couponers made me think to leave them out. Hope these don't give you trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe, good spot! He wasn't thrilled to see me taking a picture of something that wasn't him! I actually love my system, and was thinking of doing a post on it. It took me a long time to develop a system that works well for what I'm trying to do and in an easy to use way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, my brain still doesn't seem to be working properly. I wanted to ask if the Safeway policy of coupons not exceeding 50% of the price of the item applies to the cost before or after coupons and or club card?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, the 50% policy only applies to internet coupons, and no one has gotten a clear answer to that question. I've emailed Safeway three seperate times asking and only received an outline of their internet q policy. I wish I knew! Maybe I'll email them again today

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I printed it and am bringing it with me. It would be great to learn how you organize your coupons if you have time to do a post at some point. You do such a great job of getting the best deals, so you must have a good system!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maygan thanks so much for the information on the MIT coupons! Do you know if you have to have more than one coupon to get the discount on multiple items. For example, if I bought 2 boxes of the saltines, would I need to get 2 coupon books or will it automatically deduct $1 for each item purchased? You never know how store coupons will work...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you'll need two of the $1 coupons from the MIT booklet if you buy 2 items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, really really helpful, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where can I get the MIT coupon book?

    ReplyDelete
  11. They were available in Safeway stores recently, but the promotional things were supposed to have been taken down. I'd look for MIT books at the customer service desk, on the endcaps of shelves, and maybe even by the floral or pharmacy departments. Not all stores will still have them, but you might just get lucky and find one that does!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maygan, I looked for the tear pad Saltine/Chili coupons at two different Fred Meyer stores yesterday and couldn't locate them anywhere. (I sometimes wonder if someone in my area snags the time, or else I'm just blind:) What part of the store were they located in just in case I have time to go back? I looked in both applicable sections as well as the end caps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim, I found mine with the crackers, and have seen them with crackers several times. If you want some, I do have a few extras I can send your way. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was looking at the MIT booklet for the Nabisco crackers and it states "snack crackers" do you think it will work for the Saltines?

    ReplyDelete
  15. JoDee, it will work on the Saltines and your cashier should have no issues with it (as long as you meet that $20 minimum before club card). I think of all crackers as "snack" products anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome I still have 3 coupons left and we are out of saltines! Thanks so much for the quick response!

    ReplyDelete