Thursday, August 27, 2009

Crockpot Refried beans (cheap and yummy)

I've been tinkering around with this recipe and have got it perfect for our tastes! Hope no one minds If I share, it's super easy, healthy, and cheap- the perfect combo. Technically they aren't "refried" but they're still yummy.
  • 3/4 onion (split into 2 pieces)
  • 1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans (rinsed and soaked for 24 hours)
  • 1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped
  • 3 tbsp. minced garlic
  • a dash of salt
  • a tsp.-ish amount of pepper
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin (optional)
  • 5 cups water
Put everything into your crockpot and cook on high for 8-10 hours (add more water if needed). Once the beans are cooked, strain them and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain your desired consistency. I like to sprinkle a little bit of cheese over the top. Did I say yumm yet?

2 comments:

  1. oooh, that sounds really yummy and we haven't had beans in awhile since I don't have a lot of good crockpot recipes. Thanks Maygan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like them as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete