Monday, November 30, 2009

Albondigas: a recipe

We are having a bit of a crazy day over here (my 9 month old is really on the move today, and I'm pretty sure the end result will be a heart attack and a half for me!) but I have managed to get a head start on baking day. We're making Albondigas (a Mexican meatball soup- my mom's recipe) for dinner tonight but will also be freezing some (this makes a huge batch- enough to split into at least 3 meals for my family of 3.5). Here's the toddler with some of our prep work, keep on reading for the recipe:


(He's happy because I let him sneak some cabbage!)

Albondigas:
  • Meatballs (I use 1 lb of hamburger, 1 egg, 1 small onion, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, 3/4 cup cooked rice, and then eyeball: garlic salt, oregano, and basil)*
  • Head of Cabbage, chopped
  • 1 Turnip, chopped
  • 3 Large Potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 4 Large Carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 cup barley, washed & cooked
  • 1 Medium Onion, chopped

You'll need to start a large pot of water boiling (fill 1/2 the pot with water) and then add the ingredients listed above (except for the meatballs). After boiling for 30 minutes or so you can add Broccoli or Cauliflower if you want (I skipped this part today but it is yummy!). Next, you'll need to add the meatballs and the following:

  • Beef Stock or Beef Bouillon cubes (3-4)
  • Garlic Powder
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Oregano
  • Basil.

At which point you'll put the lid on your pot and let everything simmer for another 30 minutes or until all veggies are soft. Serve it hot. You can freeze this easily, but the cabbage will break down so you may need to add water or broth when reheating (the cabbage will make the soup a little bit thicker, I really like it this way).



*To make this healthier (or to accommodate veggie friends/family) the meatballs can be cooked separately and then added to the soup. Another option for helping to make this healthier is to make it a day in advance, store in the fridge, and then skim the fat off the top before reheating. I like the flavor meatballs add so I usually cook them in the soup.

1 comment:

  1. Great soup! I have a Vegan Daughter and when I make this soup, I cook the meatballs in a separate pot of water, then if I make it ahead of time, I can let the grease rise to the top and scoop it off! Less grease for me and No Meat for Vegan Daughter <3 Hope more of you try it!

    ReplyDelete